I love ice cream during the summer. A couple of years ago my husband discovered harmful ingredients that are added to store bought ice cream. That’s when we decided to invest in an ice cream maker and started to mix up our own recipes. I don’t know about you, but the ingredients in ice cream should be simple and when I see ingredients like corn syrup and carrageenan it worries me.
I absolutely love rum raisin ice cream and I wanted to try a version using coconut milk. The result was TASTY. You couldn’t even tell it was made from coconut milk and it was very simple to make and it happens to be paleo (that was just by chance). Here’s the recipe I used:
Rum Raisin Ice Cream
1 can of full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 – 3/4 cup of raisin (I like mine with a lot so I used 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup of rum
1. Soak raisins in rum for 2 hours or overnight if you like. You may need to add a little more rum to ensure all the raisins are covered.
2. In a small sauce pan pour the can of coconut milk and stir in coconut sugar over low heat. Add the vanilla extract.
3. Beat the egg yolk and slowly add that to the coconut milk mixture while stirring slowly. If mixture begins to curdle a bit, don’t worry you can strain it when the mixture cools.
4. Allow the mixture to cool and pour into a heatproof bowl. Add only the raisins from the rum soaked mixture.
5. Cover mixture and put in refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours or even overnight.
6. Pour mixture into ice cream maker using the ice cream maker’s directions.
7. Once ice cream mixes. Pour it into a metal pan or plastic container an line top with parchment paper and freeze for about an hour.
8. Time to enjoy your ice cream!
For future updates please be sure to subscribe to my list.