Once again today’s Make It Monday is a recipe. Last month I had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful raw vegan restaurant called Tassali’s Raw Reality in Atlanta’s West End. It’s one of those spots that’s very casual and has home feel to it. One of the things that I tried was the Spicy Naked Tacos and in one word it was DELICIOUS! Made with a sunflower and chili pate topped with guacamole and salsa on kale leaves, I found myself scraping my plate when I was done.
Last week I was in the mood for this wonderful dish, but it was mid week and I wasn’t in the mood to venture downtown, so I decided to come up with my own version. It didn’t taste exactly like the one at Tassali’s, but it came close and I was satisfied. Here’s the recipe I came up with for my version. If you haven’t eaten at Tassali’s you definitely need to add it a “To Try” spot.
Chili Infused Sunflower Seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds (soaked in water for a 4 hours)
3 dry chili peppers
¼ cup of olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons of honey
¼ tsp Sea Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Onion Powder
3-4 dashes of Spiced Chipotle Pepper Powder (very spicy)
- Soak sunflower seeds for about 4-6 hours in water.
- Drain sunflower seeds and add a to food processor, process seeds until they are grainy.
- Add chili peppers, olive oil, honey to food processor and pulse with sunflower seeds for a few minutes until a pate texture is achieved.
- Spoon pate into a bowl and add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and mix.
- Add 2 dashes of the Spiced Chipotle Pepper Powder at a time and taste to achieve the spiciness you like.
- Add pate to a bed of organic chopped kale and top with homemade guacamole.